Friday, December 17, 2010

Update



I just wanted to keep everyone up to date about Holly. Last Saturday the doctor took her in for a follow up chest x-ray. Her pediatrician called late yesterday to say that they looked okay for now. She still has some infection in the middle lobe on the right side. Apparently this is good, according to the doctor, since fluid starting to pool in the bottom lobe would mean she would be getting worse. She has also finally finished the course of two antibiotics, which means no more yucky side effects, or waking her up at 1 a.m. to giver her meds. (Yippee!)
The pediatrician assured me that whatever infection is still in the right middle lobe should clear up in four to six weeks. That means another round of x-rays in a month. (Of course the pediatrician didn't say "whatever". There is a term for what is still there. I just can't remember it.)
Other than that, Holly is back to her usual shy, silly, sweet self. I noticed at dinner tonight she ate two slices of pizza with two helpings of broccoli. She ate more than even Jake! This is great, considering she's lost some weight, and now is two pounds lighter than baby-zilla! (Although, I must admit we saw that coming. Holly and Will have worn the same size diapers for the past few months.)

(So here I am on my soapbox...)
I wish I would have known more about pneumonia before this whole thing. Hindsight is always 20/20, isn't it. I'm going to link you here, http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/lung/pneumonia.html. Holly had some of these symptoms; wheezing, coughing, fever, chills, even pink-eye for a day. (That, of course, came home from school with big brother.) Yet she did not have the heavy, labored breathing, vomiting, and bluish lips or nails. Pneumonia did not even cross my mind. I thought she had the flu and it would just pass. Why on earth would I even connect the pink eye? I simply had no idea what pneumonia was. Please, learn from my ignorance and be informed.
We were amazingly blessed! I am convinced her outcome would have been different had it not been for the prayers and fasting given on her behalf. We are so grateful to Heavenly Father for listening, for easing her suffering, and healing her with the help of the wonderful doctors, nurses, and medications. I am also thankful for the doctor who followed the prompting that this illness was not like the other illnesses we have seen.
Please just read up on pneumonia. Learn the symptoms, and do not hesitate taking your little ones to the doctor! By far, my biggest regret!
(Okay...I'm off the soapbox.)

Our sweet little angel posing for portraits... and I love the photo of her feet above. She loves these shoes, and is excited every Sunday when I put them on her feet. A fashionista in the making.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Holly. You are one special little girl. Heavenly Father must be trying to show your Mom and Dad that you have something special to do. I'm so glad you're doing okay. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwww! holly is such a doll face, and i'm soooo glad that everything is on the up and up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear that cute little girl of yours is doing much better. I hope we get a chance to meet up someday soon.

    ReplyDelete